I'm so very blessed. AND......I can prove it!
I was at work yesterday, (I work with people with special needs) and one of the other DSPs, (care providers) came to me and said, "Hey, will you take (Insert Resident's name here) to Mass tonight?" It may have come to a shock to her, but I not only accepted, but accepted with great excitement and pure joy! I LOVE CHURCH!!! Sure it was a catholic mass, but who doesn't love a good catholic mass every once in a while. Other churches are wonderful to visit and worship with. I always learn something new and the spirit is still very much present. But what makes it even better? I would be attending with an absolutely perfect soul. I believe that people with special needs are perfect in every way shape and form. I said under my breath about a resident once and a quite confused intern turned to me and said, "Um, Except for the Cerebral Palsy?" I responded, "Nope, he's absolutely perfect." I mean sure, his trial in life is to receive a slightly different body than most, but has anyone stopped to think why that is? I believe that these wonderfully spirit inviting souls were so valiant in the pre-existence, (when we first lived with our Heavenly Father before coming to this Earth), that God sent them here with their "different abilities" so that Satan couldn't tempt them; so that they would return to live with him again NO MATTER WHAT!!! They valiantly served everyone here on Earth in the War in Heaven, and now, we have the chance to serve them with the most careful and thoughtful care, which they need desperately. I feel so blessed each and everyday I am able to spend in their company. They carry the spirit with them so strong.
OK, now back to my original story about taking one resident, (or PG, Perfect Gem) to Mass. Before we left for mass, i took him to his room to pick out some church clothes. I held up a blue button down shirt, and a white one. He chose blue. As we dressed him( I say "we" because I was not simply me dressing him, he cooperated and helped me here and there when he could). As we dressed him, I told him what a special opportunity I felt this to be. I told him that I felt honored to go to church with him. He sat there smiling at me. I know he may not have understood what I was saying, but in the grand scheme of things, I believe he was so genuinely grateful. Then we were on our way. Out of all the time I've worked with this PG, I've only heard him say ONE word: Amen. He never talks, though I've been told he can. (Was that last sentence a comma splice?.......Nevermind, I'm sure Kazzy will let me know:) Anyway, I walked down to mass, hand in hand with PG as I sang hymns to him. He smiled his beautiful smile the whole way. We arrived at mass to find the room filled with other residents. I thought to myself, "A room filled with perfect wonders, AND church at the same time? Can someone say SPIRIT OVERLOAD???" Which, by the way, I consider a very good thing. PG insisted on holding the paper with the hymn lyrics. He smiled the entire time. And when prompted, gave his Amens. And like I said, smiled the ENTIRE time. The service was quite nice, lots of singing, no long drawn out sermon, hints of testimony scattered here and there; a wonderful way so spend thirty minutes of my life; I only wish more could be spent in the same manner. After Mass, PG and I returned to his apt in the same manner in which we came: both smiling and me singing hymns to him.
It's moments like these that remind me that even when I'm working with a resident who's disposition may not be as pleasant, one who may try to bite, or scratch, or pull my hair, I know that deep inside, this perfect soul is eternally grateful for anyone who cares for him/her. When I say this, I recognize that not all have the comfort level to care for, or even be around someone with special needs. That is OK! Don't feel bad! You CAN still contribute to this person's happiness. The simple act of NOT acting disgusted at their differentness, or giving them a kind smile, or "hello"in passing, is something they will be eternally grateful for.
These beautifully perfect people ARE a part of our Saviors plan. He sent them here, the way they are, for a reason. I am grateful for every moment I am privileged to spend with them.
Sunday, June 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I totally know how you feel about loving these little spirits! I love my job so much! It's a wonder that we didn't get in the major we are the most qualified people out there. But from the sounds of it you are being greatly blessed this summer! I dont know how the lord couldn't bless such an amazing woman! I seriously look up to you! Such an example of love and charity!
Post a Comment